- This event has passed.
Regular Board of Directors Meeting and Public Hearing
December 10, 2019|6:00 pm - 9:00 pm PST
Regular Board of Directors Meetings are open to the public. The agenda is available for public review 72 hours prior to the meeting and can be found here.
Notice of Public Hearing
Tuesday, December 10, 2019
The Board of Directors of the Rincon del Diablo Municipal Water District (RDDMWD) will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 6:00 p.m., at the office of the District, 1920 North Iris Lane, Escondido to hold a Second Reading and Adopt proposed Ordinance No. 2019-116.1-5, “An Ordinance of the Rincon del Diablo Municipal Water District, which adopts by Reference the California Fire Code, 2019 Edition and the 2018 International Fire Code Edition with Certain Amendments, Additions, and Deletions.”
Every three years the State of California Building Standards Commission adopts model codes as the basis for the California Building Standard Code (CBSC). The adopted codes, California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 24, provide a common set of rules and regulations throughout the state.
The CBSC is a compilation of three types of building criteria from three different origins:
• Building standards that have been adopted by state agencies without change from building standards contained in national model codes.
• Building standards that have been adopted and adapted from the national model code standards to meet California conditions.
• Building standards, authorized by the California legislature, that constitute extensive additions not covered by the model codes that have been adopted to address particular California concerns.
Based on the 2018 International Fire Code, the State recently modified and adopted the 2019 California Fire Code, effective January 1, 2020.
The changes to the fire code are minimal and should not impose any substantial changes to the Rincon Del Diablo residents. Adoption of the Fire Code will allow the fire department to enforce the most recent state standards within Improvement District “E.”
In 2016 Rincon Del Diablo Water District adopted the 2016 California Fire Code and the 2015 International Fire Code.
Basic changes from the 2016 California Fire Code:
• There are no significant differences from the 2016 California Fire Code to the 2019 California Fire Code that would adversely affect residents of I.D.E. However, there are significant changes to the Fire Code that mainly affect commercial establishments, none of which are within the I.D.E. Revisions to the RDDWD’s Ordinance are made to continue existing amendments previously approved by the Board and to add new amendments to the Ordinance.
Local Amendments to the 2019 California Fire Code:• Notable newly added RDDWD local amendments to the code are listed below:
Sec. 322 Storage of Firewood
• The maximum size of wood storage shall be 2 cords of wood with the pile dimensions no greater than 4 feet in height, 4 feet in width, and 16 feet in length. (New language added to include dimensions for wood storage.)
Sec. 4907.2 Fuel modification.
• A fuel modification zone shall be required around every building that is designed primarily for human habitation or use or a building designed specifically to house farm animals. Decks, sheds, gazebos, freestanding open-sided shade covers and similar accessory structures less than 250 square feet and 30 feet or more from a dwelling, and fences more than 5 feet from a dwelling, are not considered structures for the establishment of a fuel modification zone. A fuel modification zone shall comply with the following:
(g) Improved Property: Property owners shall be permitted to clear all flammable vegetation within a one hundred (100) foot radius of all buildings using methods, such as mowing and trimming that leave plant root structure intact to stabilize soil. Clearing is not limited to these methods and discing, which exposes bare mineral soil, may be used if deemed necessary by the FAHJ. (New amendment for fuel medication was added to codify language currently used in the Rincon Del Diablo Water District’s Hazard Reduction and Vegetation Clearance Standards, and Public Resources Code – PRC Chapter 2. Hazardous Fire Areas Section 4290.)
a. Where the distance from the structure to the property line of the parcel on which the building is located is less than the distance required to be cleared, (100’), the adjacent parcel owner may be required to establish the required fuel break to achieve the required distance of defensible space if such requirement is approved by the Fire Code Official.
Sec. 4907.4 Home Ignition Zones:
• 4907.4.1 Zone 1 Immediate Zone 0’-5’ Meaning from exterior wall surface of the building extending 5 feet on a horizontal plane. This zone shall be constructed of continuous hardscape or limited fire-resistant plantings acceptable to the FAHJ. (New law passed on September 18, 2019, AB-1516 Fire prevention: wildfire risk: defensible space and fuels reduction management.)
Sec. 8001. CFC Chapter 80 Referenced standards of National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 13D:
• 7.1.5 Pressure-reducing valve. If maximum static pressure from the water supply exceeds 130 psi, a pressure-reducing valve acceptable to the FAHJ shall be installed before the system riser. (Reference in the fire code, language brought over from the National Fire Protection Association’s Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.)
• 7.3.4 Pressure gauge. An approved 300 psi pressure gauge shall be permanently installed at the riser. (Language brought over from NFPA’s Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.)
• 10.2.5 Pressure Cushion. The system shall be designed 10% below available water source pressure during peak usage. (Language brought over from NFPA’s Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.)
A copy of this Ordinance is available for public inspection at this link.
At the time, date, and place stated in this notice, the Board of Directors shall hear and consider all oral and written comments, if any, in connection with the adoption of the proposed ordinance.
Wanda Cassidy, Board Secretary
Rincon del Diablo Municipal Water District